Canadian Pacific G2s Pacific no. 2634
Photographed on 4 August 2004 in the Western Development Museum, Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada.
These Pacifics were built by the Montreal Locomotive Works in 1911, and had 70-inch drivers and 20x28-inch cylinders. Ahead of her unusually tall stack No. 2601 sports an Elesco feedwater heater, not original equipment but applied during a 1922 rebuild, during which her cylinders were modified and she was reclassified from class G2d.
The purpose of the feedwater heater was to use exhaust steam from the cylinders to preheat fresh water going into the boiler. Most North American steam locomotives built, or rebuilt, after about 1920 were equipped with feedwater heaters.
Picture added on 29 April 2010 at 10:30