BR Class 76 Bo-Bo 26020 (BR 76 020)
Photographed at the National Railway Museum, York, on 24 April 2007.
Built for British Railways at the BR Gorton Works in 1951, works no. 1027.
The British Rail Class 76, also known as Class EM1 (Electric Mixed-Traffic 1), was a class totalling 58 of 1.5kV DC, Bo-Bo electric locomotive designed for use on the now-closed Woodhead Line in Northern England.
As delivered, the locomotives were painted black (as shown here). From the late 1950s onwards Brunswick green was adopted, with small yellow warning panels on the cab ends. From the late 1960s until withdrawal, the Class 76s started to appear in British Rail monastral blue with yellow cab ends. Closure of the Woodhead Line between Hadfield in the West and Penistone in the East (July 1981) resulted in the withdrawal of the entire fleet.
This preserved locomotive, No. 26020 was specially chosen because it was built with stainless steel handrails and had been exhibited at the Festival of Britain. Later, it was the locomotive that pulled the opening day train through the Woodhead Tunnel. It retains the stainless steel handrails, although they are currently painted over.
Picture added on 07 April 2010 at 12:27