1054 at Manchester Victoria
Ex LNWR coal tank 0-6-2 No.1054 departs from Manchester Victoria on June 20th,1984. This engine was built at Crewe in 1888 to a design by Francis Webb and entered service as no.7799. Under BR she became 58926 and worked in the Manchester area, Bletchley and finally South Wales being finally withdrawn from Pontypool shed in 1958. She was saved by the shedmaster of Bangor shed, Mr Max Dunn who organised a successful appeal.Went to Crewe where it was repainted in LNWR livery and stored for a while in Staffs before ownership was transferred to the NT who put her on display at Penrhyn Castle.In 1973 she went to the Dinting Railway centre and in 1980 was rebuilt to working order. Participated in the Rainhill celebrations and appeared a many preserved railway sites until withdrawn for overhaul in 1999. Currently at Ingrow on the KWVR.
Picture added on 19 September 2009 at 19:50