LV-0441 2-10-0 freight locomotive
Photographed on 22 August 2009 at the Rizhsky Vokzal railway museum in Moscow, Russia.
Driving wheel diameter: 1500 mm, Power: 3,500 hp, Maximum speed: 80 km/h, Length: 28 m, Weight: 121.5 tonnes.
Tender coal capacity: 23 tonnes, Water capacity: 45 tonnes.
This was a modified version of the L Class and the 522 that were built at the Voroshilovgradskiy plant were the last steam locomotives to be built in Russia. The LV stands for the designer Lebedaynskiy and the construction plant Voroshilovgradskiy.
The firebox provided 7% more combustion area, and a preheater increasing efficiency by up to 9.27%.
The XXth Congress of the Communist Party decreed that production of steam locomotives should cease in 1956, when this locomotive was built.
The LV Class were mainly engaged in bulk freight traffic on the Severnaya and Tselinnaya railway networks.
Picture added on 02 September 2009 at 07:15