Ea-2450 2-10-0 freight locomotive
Photographed on 22 August 2009 at the Rizhsky Vokzal railway museum in Moscow, Russia.
The first E type locomotives were ordered from the USA by Russia in 1915 during the first World War. Before the Russian Revolution, 1,081 Ef, Es, Ek and El Class engines had been supplied to Russia.
Under Lend-Lease in WWII the USSR received 2,047 steam locomotives of the Ea and Em Classes between 1943 and 1945. These had been modified compared to the earlier models, with among other things strengthened frames, an 18 tonne axle loading, mechanical stokers and pneumatic firebar cleaning.
They were eventually, in the 1950s, moved to the East, behind the Ural Mountains, where they remained the main freight power for a long time. The railwaymen nicknamed them the "Allies" or "American Girls".
This locomotive was built by Baldwin in Philadelphia in 1944 and operated in the Far East before being sent to the museum from the Ruzhino depot in 2004. It was restored by railway enthusiasts in the Podmoskovnaya depot.
Driving wheel diameter: 1320 mm, 2,080 hp, Maximum speed: 75 km/h, Length: 22.2 m, Weight: 110.4 tonnes.
Tender coal capacity: 18 tonnes, Water capacity: 28 tonnes.
Picture added on 29 August 2009 at 09:48