SJ S2p 3039 - AGJ no. 5
Photographed on 5 July 2009 in Anten loco shed.
In 1920 Henschel & Sohn of Kassel delivered two side tank engines, manufactring numbers 17868 and 17859 to the small narrow gauge 891 mm railway Ruda-Oskarshamns Järnväg (ROJ), where they were assigned numners 4 and 5. They were needed by ROJ for a new line between Ruda and Älghult which opened for general traffic in 1923.
However ROJ went bankrupt in 1931, to be bought up by the Kalmar-Berga Järnväg (KBJ), and the next year ROJ and RÄJ merged to become the Östra Smålands Järnväg (ÖsmJ).
In 1940 Statens Järnvägar (SJ) took over all the lines in that area, and the locomotives became SJ S2p 3038 and 3039. No. 3038 was scrapped in 1962 while no. 3039 had a major overhaul in 1958 at KVAB in Kalmar. It was conserved at the beginning of the 1960s and remained so until its purchase by the Anten-Gräfsnäs Järnväg (AGJ) in 1970.
Since then it has been in regular service, but was withdrawn in 2000 for inspection. It will probably go into the workshops once the locomotive ROJ 3 overhaul is completed.
No. 5 weighs 35 tons, is 8.55 m long and 2.5 m wide, with a maximum permitted speed of 60 km/h.
Picture added on 19 July 2009 at 16:38