1000, Midland Railway Compound locomotive
Photographed in the Engine House, Highley, Shropshire, on 7 March during the Severn Valley Steam Gala.
This Class was developed from a series of five locomotives (263I-2635) introduced in 1902 by Samuel W. Johnson which had had a 3-cylinder compound arrangement on the Smith system with one high pressure inside cylinder and two low pressure outside cylinders. From 1905 onwards, Johnson's successor Richard Deeley built an enlarged and simplified version, eliminating all the Smith refinements whilst fitting his own starting arrangement, making the engines simpler to drive. These locomotives were originally numbered 1000-1029, but in the 1907 renumbering scheme the five Smith/Johnson locomotives became 1000-1004 and the Deeley compounds 1005-1034, ten more of these being added in 1908-9. The original Johnson locomotives were all subsequently renewed as Deeley compounds including the now-preserved 1000 in 1914 which was outshopped with a superheater on the same occasion.
Numbered 1000-44 by both the Midland and LMS companies, British Railways renumbered the Midland series of compounds 41000-44 after nationalisation in 1948.
Picture added on 14 March 2009