42968, BR 5MT Class 4-6-0 at Bridgnorth shed
Photographed on 6 March 2009 during the Severn Valley Railway Steam Gala.
Introduced in October 1933 and designed by William Stanier, this is one of 40 mixed traffic class engines. They were originally numbered 13245-13284, and renumbered 2945-2984 from 1934 onwards, and had 40000 added after nationalisation in 1948. Always painted black, they were ined in red during the LMS period, and then grey, cream and red by British Railways. The LMS originally classified them as 4F, later upgraded to 6P5F, although British Railways classed tham as 5MT.
The first withdrawal was 42977 on 20 July 1963, and this locomotive was next to last to be withdrawn, on 31 December 1966.
Picture added on 12 March 2009