5029, GWR 4073 Castle Class 4-6-0 passing Highley
Photographed on 6 March 2009 during the Severn Valley Railway Steam Gala.
Built in May 1934, this locomotive was withdrawn from service at Cardiff East Dock in December 1963 and sent to Woodham Brothers scrapyard in Barry, South Wales in May 1964. It was sold to the Great Western Society and rescued from Woodham's in May 1976. It was the 81st loco to leave the yard.
5029 was restored from scrapyard condition at Didcot and was returned to service in 1990. Since then it has been a regular performer on the main line and has become a favourite with all the crews that have operated it. In the late 1990’s it became due for its next overhaul and was sent to Ian Riley’s workshops in Bury Lancashire. During this overhaul it was fitted with air braking (still maintaining the vacuum system) and the tender was modified to give a larger water capacity. Both of these modifications were made to enable it to increase its sphere of operation on the main line. The loco returned to the main line in 2000. TPWS was fitted in 2002 (the first GW loco to be equipped).
After another overhaul at Tyseley, which included fitting OTMR (a black box recorder), a main line trial was performed on 1 April 2008 and further excusrions have followed. This locomotive has its own web site.
See also picture #6297
Picture added on 11 March 2009