80078, BR Standard Class 4 2-6-4T
Photographed on the turntable at Swanage shed on 14 February 2009.
Built at Brighton works, completed on 2nd February 1954 as part of Brighton lot 5788, consisting of 10 engines for the Eastern Region and costing £17,364. Her first allocation was to Plaistow shed, (33A), for working commuter trains on the London, Tilbury & Southend lines between Fenchurch Street and Shoeburyness. She was transferred to Tilbury, (33B), in December 1956, where she remained until 17th June 1962 when steam finished on the L.T.&S. system.
After a brief move to Stratford depot, (30A), she was transferred to the Western Region at Shrewsbury, (89A), on 15th July 1962. A move to Croes Newydd, (89B), near Wrexham in North Wales followed, during February 1963.
Due to boundary changes, 80078 was absorbed into London Midland Region stock from 1st January 1963, and consequently Croes Newydd's shedcode was changed from 89B to 6C on 9th September 1963. This was to be her final allocation and, after a short period in store from 30th March, 80078 was withdrawn from there on 24th July 1965.
After withdrawal, No.80078 languished in various scrap lines until she arrived at Barry Scrapyard, in June 1966.
Picture added on 23 February 2009