73156, BR Standard Class 5 4-6-0 in maintenance
Photographed on 7 February 2009 inside the shed at the Great Central Railway, Loughborough.
Designed by Robert A. Riddles, built on 31 December 1956 at the British Railways Doncaster Works. Withdrawn on 30 November 1967. These locomotives followed largely in the footsteps of the successful Stanier LMS Class 5s built from 1934, but with many enhancements, such as roller bearings. 172 were built between then and 1957 and were put to work on all regions of BR, although there were not many on the Eastern Region. They were paired with 6 different types of tender, ranging from the BR1 of 49 tons 3 cwt, capacity 4,200 gallons, to the BR1F of 55 tons 5 cwt, capacity 5,650 gallons.
The first loco withdrawn was 73027 on 29 February 1964 from Swindon shed, and the last loco withdrawn was 73069 on 18 August 1968 from Carnforth shed.
Picture added on 20 February 2009