Electro-Motive Division Diesel-electric F7 No. 901
Photographed on 1 August 2003 at the National Railroad Museum, Green Bay, Wisconsin, in Wisconsin & Calumet colours.
This is a 1,500 horsepower (1,100 kW), V-16 engine, B-B Diesel-electric locomotive produced between February 1949 and December 1953 by General Motors' Electro-Motive Division and General Motors Diesel. Final assembly was at GM-EMD's La Grange, Illinois plant or GMD's London, Ontario facility for those built by General Motors Diesel (GMD) in Canada. Although originally promoted as a freight-hauling unit by EMD, the F7 was also used in passenger service hauling such trains as the Santa Fe's El Capitan.
A total of 2,366 cab-equipped lead A-units and 1,483 cabless booster or B-units were built. The F7 was the fourth model in GM-EMD's highly successful F-unit series of cab unit locomotives, and was, prior to the introduction of the EMD SD40-2 freight unit, the best selling diesel-electric locomotive of all time.
Picture added on 19 November 2008