78019 BR Standard Class 2 Mogul on the GCR line
Photographed on 28 September 2008, while waiting for "Tornado" to depart.
This was a direct development of an earlier LMS design. Darlington built 65 of this class in the 1950s for use in many parts of Britain. Completed in March 1954, 78019 was initially based at Kirkby Stephen, and spent six years working the lines through the Pennines and the Lake District. Line closures saw the engine gradually moving south, spending time at Wigan Springs Brach, Northwich and Willesden in London, before heading north to Nuneaton, and finally Crewe South shed. Withdrawal was in November 1966, and the engine was moved to Barry scrapyard early the following year.
The engine spent six years at Barry, before purchase by a member of the Severn Valley Railway. It arrived at Bridgnorth on the 10th March 1973, and like many of the early departures it came complete. Other priorities prevented the SVR restoring the engine, but in 1998 the engine, was moved to the Great Central Railway for restoration, now complete. The agreement will see the engine working on the GCR for ten years after restoration.
Picture added on 03 October 2008