Class 08 0-6-0 diesel shunter D3101
Photographed on 22 April 2013 at the Great Central Railway, Loughborough.
Built at Derby in 1955 as one of a batch of 10 fitted with air brakes. It was fitted with an English Electric type 6KT engine, and served exclusively on the Southern Region, being stationed at Norwood Junction, Ashford and Eastleigh, before being returned to Ashford, and then withdrawn from there in May 1972.
D3101 was bought by Amey Roadstone Co. Ltd. in March 1973 and was used as the pilot at their sidings adjacent to Loughborough Midland Station. It was sold for use on the GCR in December 1984, having been withdrawn during the previous year. In order to get it from the Midland station to the Great Central, a 40 mile detour was necessary because of weight restrictions on certain bridges.
Picture added on 03 November 2013 at 22:23