Redland at Quainton Road
15/8/2009. The Buckinghamshire Railway Centre
In 1929 Kerr Stuart built two standard-gauge diesel shunting locomotives with mechanical transmissions. One was an 0-6-0, the other an 0-4-0. The six-coupled locomotive was successful and sold in the normal way. However, there were problems with the other machine, and it remained in the works for further development. It was still there when the firm was taken over by Hunslet in 1930. In that year it was transferred to the Hunslet works at Leeds where work was completed. It thus became the first standard-gauge diesel loco sold by Hunslet; but the works number was prefixed 'K' to denote its Kerr Stuart origin. This was Redland.
Picture added on 06 December 2011 at 08:48