GWR Prairie tank 4575 class 2-6-2T 5542
Waiting at Shackerstone station on the Battlefield line, on 19 March 2011.
Built in 1928 for £3602, as part of Lot 251, also preserved from this Lot is elder brother 5541, now based on the Forest of Dean. Together with 5541 it was first allocated to Gloucester entering traffic on 2 August 1928, then over the next 33 years was based at Bristol, Taunton and Newton Abbott. It was last based at Taunton on 21 August 1957, when it was transferred to Westbury, where it spent its remaining years before being finally withdrawn from Westbury on 8 December 1961 after having run 987,429 miles. It was sold to Woodhams in February 1962. Throughout the greater part of its life it was based at Taunton. It was first based at Taunton in 1934 and was a regular performer on the Minehead line. It carried 6 boilers in its life. The last boiler was built in 1943 and had been used on 4558, 5551, 5501 before fitting to 5542 in March 1958, at the locomotive's last Heavy General overhaul.
Picture added on 03 April 2011 at 17:47