GWR 2885 class 2-8-0 3803
Photographed taking water at Shackerstone station on the Battlefield line, on 19 March 2011.
This is essentially a Collett development of Churchward's 2800 class with fairly minor differences, the most noticeable being a bigger cab and outside steam pipes fitted as standard. The first of the Collett version of this highly successful freight locomotive was completed in 1938, the last emerging in 1942. It's interesting to note that British Railways Western Region planned to produce more but were given 9F 2-10-0s instead.
3803's main claim to fame is that it was selected to take part in the 1948 locomotive exchanges when it moved to the Eastern Region and acquitted itself extremely well against various LNER freight designs. It returned to the Western Region and continued to haul heavy freight around the network until withdrawn from Severn Tunnel Junction in 1963 and sold to Woodham's scrap yard at Barry. After 21 years it was rescued and restored at Tyseley and at the South Devon Railway, returning to steam in 2006.
Picture added on 03 April 2011 at 17:43