46200 THE PRINCESS ROYAL
The first of the Stanier Pacifics for the LMS lying at Carlisle Upperby shed in June 1963. Named after Princess Mary Countess of Harewood, King George V and Queen Mary's daughter she was introduced as 6200 in 1933 and was the lead of a class of twelve. There was a 13th, 6202 the Turbomotive rebuilt as a conventional loco in 1952 but sadly wrecked after only 8 weeks in service at the Harrow and Wealdstone triple collision.
THE PRINCESS ROYAL was withdrawn from BR service in 1962 and eventually was removed to Crewe Works for cutting up. Amazingly her number plate remained in situ for all that time!
The other members of the class were cut up very quickly following withdrawal so it's a mystery as to why she remained for so long unless there was a possible preservation scheme which failed. Two members of the class are still with us of course, (4)6201 and 46203 Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret Rose.
Picture added on 29 March 2011 at 08:36