Stanier Black 5 4-6-0 45305
Photographed at the Great Central Railway shed yard, Loughborough, on 16 March 2011.
Built by Armstrong Whitworth of Newcastle-on-Tyne in 1936 - Works No 1360, as part of a batch of 326 – the largest batch ever built by a British company.
45305 survived in service until the end of steam in August 1968, and was withdrawn from Lostock Hall. Upon withdrawal she was bought for scrap by Mr A E Draper of Albert Drapers & Sons Ltd. Mr Draper decided to restore her as a memorial to the age of steam.
In 1984, 5305 was named ‘Alderman A E Draper’ by Mr Bill Tong, the then Mayor of Hedon. Mr A E Draper was mayor of Hedon on two occasions, and the Hedon coat of arms is mounted on the name plates, although they are not seen in this photograph.
The first seven-year overhaul took place between 1985 and 1987, and 5305 wore the 1940’s livery during this period of work. 5305 was withdrawn again in December 1994 on the expiry of the boiler certificate and returned to steam in Autumn 2003 in BR Lined Black and numbered as 45305.
Picture added on 27 March 2011 at 22:15