Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T no. 1800
Photographed in the engine shed of the Nene Valley Railway at Wansford on 15 March 2011.
Built in 1947, this locomotive spent all its working life at the British Sugar Corporation's Peterborough factory.
By 1970, when the Peterborough Locomotive Society built its compound within the factory sidings, No. 1800 was the regular stand-by locomotive. Thanks to its immaculate blue livery it soon became known as 'Thomas' to Society members.
At the British Sugar Corporation's National Sports and Family Day in 1971 and 1972 No. 1800 was used to give people short brake van rides. In 1971 the Rev W Awdry, author of the 'Thomas' books came to one of the open days and agreed to name No. 1800 'Thomas'.
In 1973 'Thomas' was in need of major repairs and was sold to the Peterborough Railway Society who stored it out of use until 1977 when parts from a similar locomotive were used in his repair.
Picture added on 26 March 2011 at 21:45