The Stockton & Darlington Railway opened Darlington Works in 1863, and built the first new locomotive there in 1864, to an S&D design. North Eastern railway designs began to come out of the Works, known locally as North Road Shops, in 1868. 120 of Sir Vincent Raven's Q6 o-8-0s had been built by 1921, followed by 15 of the more powerful Q7 0-8-0s. After the Grouping in 1923, there came Gresley K3 2-6-0s. V2 2-6-2s, K4 2-6-0s and A1 Pacific 4-6-2s. Steam locomotives continued to be be built there after nationalisation in 1948, in the form of BR Standard Class 2 locomotives. Although the Works were enlarged in 1954, rationalisation of the BR Workshops Division in 1962 saw them run down and they closed in 1966. The site is now occupied by a Morrison's supermarket.
47279/78022 and 7828
47279/78022 and 7828 make a real eclectic mix outside the shed at Haworth on the Keighley and Worth ...
NER P3 0-6-0 65894. Built at Darlington in 1923 that is where 65894 currently is on display in Hope ...
BR 2MT 78022. Could this be the K & W V R?
Picture #7893 shows 78022 at K&WV
Photo © The Step B...
Class 08's were built at Derby, Crewe, Darlington and Doncaster between 1953 and 1962 t...
What a line up!
60007 Sir Nigel Gresley
60532 Blue Peter - not in steam
60009 Union of South Africa (Headboard The...